The 2010 ARIA Awards (what we remember of it anyway) - an amazing evening for Angus & Julia Stone and EMI!
The Party started the moment you walked in to this year’s ARIA Awards. No easing in with a nice dinner and getting those early pleasantries out of the way. The bar was the first stop (and several stops after that). But first there was the red carpet to negotiate and the little matter of some awards to be handed out.
The stunning Sydney Harbour setting that backdrops the Opera House, this year’s chosen venue, was in full show as the rain that deluged the rest of the week stayed away and the industries elite came out in force. This all lent itself to possibly one of the most picturesque red carpet arrivals ever organized. Sunshine, Sydney Harbour, The Opera House, the cream of Australia’s music industry all done up in their finest… what more could you want?
As the sun set and the awards began there was a distinctly fresh feel to this year’s program. Not only was there a host of new and up and coming nominees, but the venue itself was new and determined to play it’s part. Artists and performers were situated on the tiered Opera House steps to collect their awards as fans clamored around the stage down below for live performances and the industry watched on from the top of the steps. Powderfinger kicked off proceedings in grand style and reminded everyone of exactly what they’ll be missing out on now that the band have called it a day.
Other performances from Washington, Birds of Tokyo, Sia, Dan Sultan with INXS and big winners on the night Angus & Julia Stone all showed the strength of the current crop of Australian Artists. Washington winning Best Female Artist, Dan Sultan Best Male Artist and Birds of Tokyo cemented their place as the “new face of rock” taking out Best Rock album. But it was Angus & Julia Stone who owned the night taking out the double of Best Single and Best Album as well as Best Adult Alternative Album for their honest and beguiling No. 1 record Down The Way and single Big Jet Plane. It’s the second year running the EMI label have picked up the Album Of The Year, last year being Empire Of The Sun for their double platinum Walking On A Dream album.
Throughout the night there were stutters and starts, hitches and glitches, but if anyone knows how to work through it and just get on with the show it’s the music industry, who let the quality of the artists and their brilliant performances do the real talking. Besides, we were drinking by the most beautiful harbour in the world with some pretty idyllic surroundings and some great tunes, so how bad could it be? Guy Sebastian closed the show in fitting fashion and everyone headed off to the after party. Now it was time for the real fun to begin!
2010 EMI ARIA Award Winners
- Album of the Year - Angus & Julia Stone - Down The Way (Original Matters/EMI)
- Single of the Year - Angus & Julia Stone - Big Jet Plane (Original Matters/EMI)
- Best Rock Album - Birds of Tokyo – Birds of Tokyo (EMI)
- Best Adult Alternative Album - Angus & Julia Stone – Down The Way (Original Matters/EMI)
- Engineer of the Year - Wayne Connolly - Paul Dempsey, Fast Friends (EMI)
- Producer of the Year - Angus & Julia Stone - Angus & Julia Stone, Black Crow, For You, Santa Monica Dream, Yellow Brick Road, Walk It Off, Hush (Original Matters/EMI)
- Best Cover Art - Angus & Julia Stone - Angus & Julia Stone, Down The Way (Original Matters/EMI)
- 2010 EMI ARIA Hall Of Fame Inductees - John Williamson + The Church